Wedding Filmmaking isn’t a simple task with all the work and time that goes into. We’re watching more cinematically-styled wedding films and are curious to learn how this can be done. We spoke to Ben Walton to find out the path he took to create stunning and cinematic wedding films and what tips he had to offer us.
I was born in a small region in western Wales and in some ways the reality that everyone knew each other is actually an advantage disguise. This means that when I started to look for ways to earn some cash from my hobby (aged 14,) people were quick to learn and shared my story production company near me with their friends or aunties, cousins, or anyone else. In those same people were photographers who were a major factor in my beginning times of photographing weddings. There was something about me and my work that they were drawn to and by the time I was 16 I started receiving requests from photographers and being booked. ‘
What is the best way to find new customers for wedding film productions?
This trend never stopped but it just got bigger and outside of the area I was raised in. Then I started moving farther and further East over the Bridge across England and before I realized it, I was moving abroad. I’d say that 90 percent of the work I received in the early years was through the word of mouth. It’s incredible and worth every penny. The remaining 10% of the time was via blogs that included my work. Ie. When I video companies near me was 17 Rock My wedding did a special feature on me and put me on an item on their list from which I received numerous weddings, to the point that I graduated at the age of 18, with 22 weddings booked across the UK. To today the word of mouth is the most reliable source of business.
Could you elaborate on the process of pre-production and how it is carried out?
In the end, my planning for production is fairly minimal. I’ve never been one of planning too much (wedding-wise). Naturally, I know the basics. And I talk with them in advance to make sure that we’re at the same level. With all things and I know exactly where I must be and what time. However, other than that, I don’t really know or even ask questions. Perhaps I should? However, I like to be awed and create the film in the way I want to shoot for editing. When I’m on every day working and thinking about my own ideas.
Which are your five “must-have” images that you try to find for your wedding film?
I’ve never really considered this before in depth I suppose it’s sort of a numbing thought now. I’m sure that the main elements in my films right now include.